12/26/2007

Relationships thought Lost

I have to tell the story of a very important relationship that I thought was dead, I have always thought of this person and talked about him so much with my children that they know who he is just by the type of story I am telling. When I was born my father was in the Air Force and we moved around until I was 4 years old. He finally got out of the Military and got a job in New York. I was scared to move from my friends in California to New York. We moved to our new house and I quickly found out that the new next door neighbor was also 4 years old. Most of this is from what my parents told me since I really do not remember to much of those days. To me I think I met Brian when we went to look at the house before we moved into it. We would do absolutly everything together. He would come to my house and play with my toys until we got bored then we would go to his house and play with his toys until we got bored. There was always something for us to do. Even when we were bored we had fun together. There were other kids our age in the neighborhood and we would play with them and hang out with them also but they would have to go home and me and Brian would still be there. While we were growing up we were totally different people with different goals in life. We were brought up with totally different backgrounds, different religions, different customs, and different opportunities. But for some reason we were still best friends. Until, something changed. I am going to blame Girls and Sports, but I am sure it was my own immaturity that caused us to grow apart. I was getting into the Partying scene and Brian was still the Great student. By the time we reached High School I was Drinking, Smoking, doing things that would cause most parents to keep their kids away from me. Brian was in the Math Club, Debate team, Physics club, etc... Until one day we would only say high when passing in the hall. My senior year I moved out of the house I grew up in. I was still in the same school but with work, after school sports, and after school parties I never saw Brian. He was in the Classes for the "smart" kids while I was in the classes for the "Lets see if we can get him to graduate" kids. On graduation day I remember seeing Brian walk up to get his diploma and thought, "Wow I miss hanging out with him." Years went by with failed College, Military moving, kids, and all the great things life brings and I never heard from Brian again. Every once and awhile I would find an email address and send him a couple of notes. But then Life would happen again and I would go a couple awhile before I could catch up with him again. This weekend Brian was in town. He warned me in advance that he was going to come and visit his family. I was so excited that I was going to see him again now that we have both seen life and have our own families. Saturday, I woke up and was planning on meeting him for Coffee, I was nervous that now that he has Dr. in front of his name and I am just your average Joe walking around this world not contributing a thing. As soon as Me and my daughter walked into the Coffee shop I felt like a kid again, I was so happy to see Brian, it felt like we were friends all along and this was the same kid that I watched learn how to ride a bike. We sat their and talked for awhile but we both had things to do and my daughter was not having to much fun with the two old guys talking about the days before there was a computer in every house, and what is this Record thing... So we decided it was time to go. The next day his sister and her family flew in and we made plans to meet them at my parents house. It was unbelievable that I was sitting at my Mothers dinning room table with two people that I ate with almost everyday many years ago. A visit that was suppose to last for an hour soon turned into 3 and just like minutes it was time for them to leave. As I watched Brian and his sister drive away I realized that this is a relationship that made me the person I am today. This was my best friend for so long that that his friendship made an impression on me and helped me though some rough times in life, even if it was not there at the time. I am a better person for knowing this man when he was younger and I am very proud of what he has done in his life. I now understand that a relationship that I thought was once lost now has the opportunity to be grown again.

No comments: